Help & Advice

Where is my inside stop tap?

In most cases the inside stop tap is the only one you will ever need. They can be used to turn the water supply off to your property, if you have a leak or want to fit new plumbing or heating systems.


In most properties the stop tap is located inside, close to where the water pipe enters the building. In houses, this is usually:

  • Under a sink (often the kitchen sink)
  • Garage
  • Cellar
  • Downstairs bathroom or toilet

If you live in a flat, you may share your water supply with neighbours. A communal stop tap will generally be where the water supply enters the building. You should check you can get to it, although, an additional stop tap should also be found where the water supply enters your flat.


The owner or landlord of the property is responsible for all inside stop taps.

If there is a problem

If you are having problems operating your inside stop tap you should contact an approved plumber.

Rate this response:

Related queries

Not found your answer?

If you can't find the answer to your question, you can contact us and we'll endeavour to respond as soon as possible

Contact Cambridge Water