What to do if you are having difficulties paying your bill

Water and sewerage services have to be paid for, but we understand that finding the money can sometimes be difficult. We have a range of options available, many of which can be tailored to suit your needs.

If you are experiencing difficulties, please contact our expert team immediately on 0800 587 7701, to discuss how we can assist. We really can help.

If you are having difficulties paying your water bill it is important that you contact us immediately on 0800 587 7701.

We have trained advisors available who can offer tailored advice. Read our Code of Practice: What to do if I am having difficulties paying my bill to find out more.

If you require additional help from us, you may also need help from your gas and electricity/water suppliers.  Water/energy companies offer schemes and support similar to ours, for example password schemes or getting bills in large print/Braille.

Find ways to reduce your bill

Request a water meter - most customers use 10% less water once they have a meter installed just because they are more conscious of what they use. Click here to find out more

Repair dripping taps - a dripping tap can waste 25 litres of water every day.

Request a free water saving device - Cambridge Water supplies free water saving devices to all its customers on request. These are simple devices that reduce the capacity of the toilet or the flow from your shower or tap, helping you save water and save money.  Click here to order your free water saving device

Search the Cambridge Water website - get advice on saving water and purchase water-saving products. Click here to view advice about water efficiency

See if you are eligible for a special tariff – There are tariffs for customers that use low volumes of water, and customers that use a lot of water and are in receipt of means tested benefits. Read more about special tariffs

Pay by instalments - At Cambridge Water we offer a range of flexible ways for you to pay your bill.

Bills can be paid annually, monthly or more frequently by prior arrangement. If you have a particular problem getting the money to us we will try to find an arrangement that suits you.

To find out more click here.

Water Direct - Customers in receipt of income-based Jobseekers‟ Allowance, Income Support, income-related Employment and Support Allowance or Pension Credit, may be able to arrange for money to be deducted from their benefit and paid direct to Cambridge Water.

Any collection activity on the account will be put on hold while Cambridge Water awaits a response from JobCentre Plus. If approved, these deductions will cover the weekly liability as well as a contribution towards paying off any arrears that may be on the account.

Alternatively, if a customer owes money, Cambridge Water may make a request to these agencies for money to be paid direct to the company directly.

For further information about deductions from benefits customers should contact their local JobCentre Plus or the Department for Work and Pensions.

Seek independent advice

If you want independent advice you can contact the National Debt Helpline on 0808 808 400 Monday to Friday 9am - 9pm and Saturday 9.30am-1pm or visit their website at www.nationaldebtline.co.uk.

You can also contact organisations such as:

Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB)
01223 222660

0844 848 7979 

Citizens Advice Bureau helps people resolve their legal, money and other problems by providing free, independent and confidential advice, and by influencing policymakers.

CAB banner

StepChange Debt charity
0800 138 1111 (Freephone, including mobiles)

StepChange Debt Charity is the new name for the UK's leading debt advice organisation. Previously known as Consumer Credit Counselling Service (CCCS) they have over 20 years' experience of helping people become debt free.

Worried about your debts? Try the 60-second debt check

If you're struggling to keep on top of your money, our simple debt check will give you straightforward advice based on your circumstances.

StepChange Debt Charity are experts in helping people to manage and repay their debts. They offer tailored advice and practical solutions to help you make a fresh start.

StepChange logo

Contact other agencies that can help

Pension Credit - If you are a pensioner and are on a low income you may be entitled to Pension Credit. To find out more call the Pension Credit application line on freephone 0800 99 1234 or textphone 0800 169 0133.

Please note that as of April 2010 the age at which people get Pension Credit will gradually increase.

Working Families Tax Credit - If you are earning a low wage and you have a family you may be entitled to Working Families Tax Credit. To find out more contact the Tax Credits helpline on 0345 300 3900 or textphone 0345 300 3909.

Other support - It may be worth contacting your local authority‟s health and social care services department and JobCentre Plus. They will not be able to give you any money to pay your water bill but they might be able to offer help and advice.

It is important to tell us if you are receiving benefits or have approached any other organisations for help.

If Social Services, the Department for Work and Pensions or JobCentre Plus ask us to withhold recovery action while they look into you case, we will do so.

Querying your bill

What if I dispute my bill? - If you believe that you should not have received a bill or it is wrong you should advise the company as soon as possible. If there is a genuine dispute, any recovery processes will be put "on hold" for investigation.

What if I am a tenant? - If you live in rented accommodation you will need to identify who is responsible for paying the water bill.

Water charges have to be paid for and this is usually by the person who lives in the property and uses the water. Unless your landlord has accepted responsibility for the charges, by entering into a special written agreement with us, this remains your responsibility. To check whether this is the case you will need to read your tenancy agreement.

If you bill is for a previous tenant it is important you contact us straight away. You can find out more about who is responsible for paying charges here

What if I have a complaint? - Cambridge Water is committed to providing the best possible service at all times. We would like to hear from you if you are dissatisfied with any aspect of our service. We value and act on your comments to improve the way that we deal with other customers in the future.

Whatever your problem or complaint, please call us on 01223 706050 between 8.30am and 5pm Monday to Friday. We will look into it promptly and try to resolve it to your complete satisfaction. For more information on our complaints procedure please click here

Check the benefits calculator

The Consumer Council for Water (CCWater) has teamed up with national poverty relief charity Turn2us to provide a benefits calculator and grants search tool which water customers in England and Wales can use to identify ways to bolster their income.

Customers can access the tools on CCWater’s website at www.ccwater.org.uk/savewaterandmoney