Knowledge base

RSS Feed


More news

Online resources

Our vision for the future
Our five year business plan

Water abstraction licence

If your business wants to take water direct from the environment you will need to apply for a licence.

Water abstraction licences

If your business wants to take more than 20 cubic metres (4000 gallons) of water per day from groundwater, such as boreholes and wells, or from surface water, which includes rivers and lakes, you will need an abstraction licence from the Environment Agency. You may face legal action of you do not have a licence where one is required.

Licences are normally issued for a period of 12 years. They set out:

·         Where you can abstract the water

·         How much you can take

·         What you can use it for

If will usually take between three and four months for a licence to be approved. To find out more visit the Environment Agency website

If you wish to abstract less then 20 cubic metres of water a day for any purpose you should also contact the Environment Agency for a full list of exemptions and for further advice.

You may need to carry out an Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) before you submit your application.